Re: How to modify an RPM

On 12/02/2004 04:10:41 AM, Tristan Miller wrote:
Greetings.

I have created a few dozen RPMs with the checkinstall utility
<http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/>.

Neat utility but it is better to make an actual rpm using a spec file and here's why -

1) It's the right way to build an rpm
2) You can properly flag files as configuration file, international files, who should own them, etc.
3) If the package needs any post install (or uninstall or update) configuration done, you can script that in the spec file
4) You can build an rpm as a non root user so that you can _guarantee_ building it won't bork your system
5) You can build an rpm as a non root user so that you can _guarantee_ building it won't bork your system

And the big one - small changes just involves modifying the spec file, you don't have to go through the entire process again of choosing your configure options, possibly patching the source, etc.

There are plenty of tutorials for free on the web for how to write a spec file, and there is a really good book (which is pretty distro agnostic) from Red Hat Press - I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but I own it - and was an excellent purchase.

Oh - and as far as writing spec files, emacs has a plugin (installed by default on Fedora) that makes writing a spec file easier -

emacs package.spec

It will create a template spec file for the package, really nice.