Re: How to modify an RPM

On Thursday, 02 December 2004, at 23:47:28 (+0000),
Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Neat utility but it is better to make an actual rpm using a spec
> file and here's why -
>
> 1) It's the right way to build an rpm
> 2) You can properly flag files as configuration file, international
> files, who should own them, etc.
> 3) If the package needs any post install (or uninstall or update)
> configuration done, you can script that in the spec file
> 4) You can build an rpm as a non root user so that you can _guarantee_
> building it won't bork your system
> 5) You can build an rpm as a non root user so that you can _guarantee_
> building it won't bork your system

Don't confuse the use of tools like checkinstall or specgen with
belief that they are a total solution.  It's a starting point; nothing
more, and nothing less.

> Oh - and as far as writing spec files, emacs has a plugin (installed
> by default on Fedora) that makes writing a spec file easier -
>
> emacs package.spec
>
> It will create a template spec file for the package, really nice.

Let's call a spade a spade.  Your "template" spec file and an
autogenerated spec file from something like checkinstall are really
the same exact thing:  a model to work from.  The only difference is
how sophisticated the model is and how much work is left to the user.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>