Re: How to modify an RPM

Greetings.

In article <1102031248l.4273l.0l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael A. Peters
wrote:
> On 12/02/2004 04:10:41 AM, Tristan Miller wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I have created a few dozen RPMs with the checkinstall utility
>> <http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/>.
>
> Neat utility but it is better to make an actual rpm using a spec file

I was looking for an easy way to keep track of third-party programs
installed from source, and I had assumed that writing a spec file was more
work than just typing "./configure --prefix=/usr;make;su -c checkinstall".
Perhaps I was wrong, but the official-looking documentation at
<http://www.rpm.org/howto/thefight/> seems very long and not very
professionally written.

> And the big one - small changes just involves modifying the spec file,
> you don't have to go through the entire process again of choosing your
> configure options, possibly patching the source, etc.

This I grant you, in light of the problem in my original post.  So I'm
willing to learn how to create a spec file.

> There are plenty of tutorials for free on the web for how to write a
> spec file,

Any in particular you can recommend, apart from
<http://www.rpm.org/howto/thefight/>?

> Oh - and as far as writing spec files, emacs has a plugin (installed by
> default on Fedora) that makes writing a spec file easier -
>
> emacs package.spec
>
> It will create a template spec file for the package, really nice.

Neato... I had no idea this existed.  Looks very pretty with the syntax
highlighting and all. :)

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited