Re: license vs. copyright

On Thursday, 14 October 2004, at 16:16:11 (-0400),
Matthew Miller wrote:

> They _can_ use whatever they like, and the code doesn't care, but in
> general, License is better than Copyright.

That's a matter of opinion.

> Consider it a sub-thread, then. I didn't realize it was going to be
> so in depth -- I was just trying to be helpful.

You weren't the ranter. :-)

> Again, there's a difference between what the code allows and good policy.

Yes, but you missed the point.  If somebody like Jeff or Paul or James
says it's deprecated, I listen.  Why?  Because they contribute.
Anyone else is just yapping, and it means nothing.

> No, those are just two quick sources I could find. The Mandrake RPM
> howto, at
> <http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowTo#Header_section>,
> says the same thing, as does (as far as Babelfish lets me
> understand) Conectiva's RPM packaging policy.
> <https://moin.conectiva.com.br/GuiaCriacaoSpecsCL>. I couldn't find
> a published SuSE packaging policy, but they also seem to use License
> instead of Copyright for their packages.

Distribution policy is outside the scope of this list.  I'm speaking
specifically about rpm; that's what this list is about.

And I'd be a wealthy man if I had a dollar for every time jbj has used
the phrase "bring me consensus."

> If you want to do different in your packages, RPM won't stop you --
> but I'll prefer to use packages made by someone with more rigorous
> standards.

That may be one of the silliest reasons not to use someone's RPM
packages that I've ever heard. :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>