Re: Any way to set Epoch via the rpmbuild cmd line ?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 02:48:41PM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> > It's not pedantry; it's the *difference*.
> Except that there isn't any difference.

You're confusing difference in the code with actual difference. Clearly,
there _is_ a difference, or else the original poster wouldn't have had a
complaint to begin with.

> > The Copyright tag is deprecated and should _replaced_ by the License
> > tag.
> According to whom?  Neither of these refer to it as deprecated:
> http://rpm-devel.colug.net/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html#S3-RPM-INSIDE-LICENSE-TAG
> http://rpm-devel.colug.net/max-rpm/s1-rpm-specref-preamble.html#S3-RPM-SPECREF-LICENSE

The Red Hat RPM Guide.

<http://www.pconline.com/~erc/rpm.htm>, check out page 168.

Also, the Fedora Extras packaging guide:

<http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackagingHints#tags>

Maximum RPM, which you refer to, was never a great book when it was new. And
despite some updating, it's still not that great. I guess this is one
example.

> To quote an RPM developer (name withheld to protect the guilty):  ;-)
>   "It's the same bleeping tag in the header; who cares?"

And indeed, that is the case from the point of view of RPM itself.

Likewise, you can put whatever you want in the %build and %install sections.
You can not use a buildroot if you want. You can name your Mozilla 1.7.3
package "fleebnork-2.15b.rc6.12.3.141-0.0.0.0-noarch.rpm" if you want. RPM
won't care. But that doesn't mean that you should. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>