license vs. copyright [was Re: Any way to set Epoch via the rpmbuild cmd line ?]

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:26:36PM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> No, I'm not.  What I'm doing is stating that there is no difference in
> code, and thus people are welcome to use whatever they like.

They _can_ use whatever they like, and the code doesn't care, but in
general, License is better than Copyright.

> The *original* poster said nothing about License:/Copyright:.  That
> was brought up by someone else who chose to inject a completely
> off-topic rant into this thread which has since caused it to diverge
> into the current discussion.

Consider it a sub-thread, then. I didn't realize it was going to be so in
depth -- I was just trying to be helpful.

> > The Red Hat RPM Guide.
> > <http://www.pconline.com/~erc/rpm.htm>, check out page 168.
> Swell.  Interestingly, a grep through the rpm CVS repository shows no
> occurance of his name anywhere that I can find.  I think I'll wait to
> hear something from someone a bit closer to the code, thanks.

Again, there's a difference between what the code allows and good policy.

> > Also, the Fedora Extras packaging guide:
> > <http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackagingHints#tags>
> That's Fedora's policy.  So what?  You act as though RedHat and Fedora
> are the only people who use RPM.

No, those are just two quick sources I could find. The Mandrake RPM howto,
at <http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowTo#Header_section>,
says the same thing, as does (as far as Babelfish lets me understand)
Conectiva's RPM packaging policy.
<https://moin.conectiva.com.br/GuiaCriacaoSpecsCL>. I couldn't find a
published SuSE packaging policy, but they also seem to use License instead
of Copyright for their packages.

If you want to do different in your packages, RPM won't stop you -- but I'll
prefer to use packages made by someone with more rigorous standards.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>