RE: How to use temporary files?

How about

useradd foo
echo mypass | passwd --stdin foo

That would add foo unless he/she's already there, and then set foo's password to "mypass" - would that do what you are looking for?  Worst case you might reset someone's password but that is trivial to fix and doesn't loose data.

--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Assistant Vice President

The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of my employer, Bank of America.