Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

Paul Nasrat <pnasrat@xxxxxxxxxx>@redhat.com on 07/28/2004 09:02:12 AM
replied:

> > 1/ How can I manually populate bash into the database?
>
> You have a few options - if you have all the packages you can populate
the rpmdb using

> rpm --justdb --noscripts --notriggers bash.rpm
>
> If the system has been installed from the rpms, but has no rpmdb this
>  is probably the best approach.  To figure out what is on the
>  target you could create an rpmdb and use verification to figure
>  out what's installed.
>
> rpm --dbpath /path/to/my/db -V package
>
> Else you can look at the virtual provides scripts.
>
> /usr/lib/rpm/vpgk-provides.sh for an idea how to create a few skeleton
>  rpms for a non-rpm UNIX system.

No, unfortunately the system wasn't (apparently) installed via RPM,
but I will check out the skeleton rpms... thanks.

> > BTW:
> >
> > 2/ I also don't even know why my RPM is dependent on bash.
> >    I didn't make the dependency.  Is it built into RPM itself?
>
> Do you have any %pre,%post scripts or %triggers? The shell requirement is
probably coming > automagically from those.

I have the sections defined, but they are empty.
Maybe I shouldn't even have the keywords, if I'm not going to use them?