database is not in db3 format

On my embedded system (based on MontaVista (based on Redhat))
I am using RPM V4.0

After doing an "rpm --initdb; rpm --rebuilddb"

I'd like to install an RPM, but it complains about the database format:

cannot open Basenames index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)

--> The rpm database cannot be opened in db3 format.
    If you have just upgraded the rpm package you need to convert
    your database to db3 format by running "rpm --rebuilddb" as root.

cannot open Providename index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
cannot open Conflictname index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)

Actually, the 3 files it is complaining about don't even exist.
The only file that does exist in /var/lib/rpm is Packages.
Looking at my Fedora 2 system, there are many _more_ files in that
directory too!

How am I supposed to create these other files?
or isn't rpm supposed to create these other files?

TIA
Fulko