How can I manually populate an RPM database

I've built an embedded system (based on MontaVista (based on RedHat)).
The software as delivered by MontaVista includes RPM binaries, but
not a populated RPM database.

Now I need to use RPM (for a variety of other reasons).

I've built my first RPM (on SCO OpenServer, don't ask why... because I have
too.)
And when I try to install it, RPM on the target system says:

error: failed dependencies:
        /bin/bash   is needed by acncfg-HANSON1_1001-1

Since bash wasn't installed via RPM, how can I convince RPM
that bash exists.

Yes, I know I can install with nodep, but that 'kinda' defeats
one of the features of RPM.

So the question is:

1/ How can I manually populate bash into the database?

BTW:

2/ I also don't even know why my RPM is dependent on bash.
   I didn't make the dependency.  Is it built into RPM itself?