Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:13:44AM -0400, Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Now I need to use RPM (for a variety of other reasons).

> I've built my first RPM (on SCO OpenServer, don't ask why... because I have
> too.)
> And when I try to install it, RPM on the target system says:
> error: failed dependencies:
>         /bin/bash   is needed by acncfg-HANSON1_1001-1
>
> Since bash wasn't installed via RPM, how can I convince RPM
> that bash exists.

> Yes, I know I can install with nodep, but that 'kinda' defeats
> one of the features of RPM.

> So the question is:
>
> 1/ How can I manually populate bash into the database?

You have a few options - if you have all the packages you can populate the rpmdb using

rpm --justdb --noscripts --notriggers bash.rpm

If the system has been installed from the rpms, but has no rpmdb this is probably the best approach.  To figure out what is on the target you could create an rpmdb and use verification to figure out what's installed.

rpm --dbpath /path/to/my/db -V package

Else you can look at the virtual provides scripts.

/usr/lib/rpm/vpgk-provides.sh for an idea how to create a few skeleton rpms for a non-rpm UNIX system.

> BTW:
>
> 2/ I also don't even know why my RPM is dependent on bash.
>    I didn't make the dependency.  Is it built into RPM itself?

Do you have any %pre,%post scripts or %triggers? The shell requirement is probably coming automagically from those.

Paul