Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:51:44AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> What I do on HP-UX is to populate /etc/rpmrc with provides of what
> already exists on the system.
>
> File /etc/rpmrc:
>
>   Provides: /bin/sh /bin/bash
>
> And so on.  That list can get rather long.  Everything on one line.

Heh. Provides: in /etc/rpmrc was yanked in rpm-4.0, pretty much
identifies what you are using.

A virtual package with
	Provides: /bin/sh
and more is far more workable and flexible. Yes, you need to
generate the spec file and build the package, rpm has 2 scripts
to do so for many years now.

> The second thing you can do, for your own private rpms, is to turn off
> automatic dependency building in the rpm spec file.  Then the rpm you
> build won't have any dependencies other than the ones you specify
> manually.  I think because of the way you are building your system
> this is the best answer for you.  You don't have the system installed
> by rpm so you can't really use it for normal dependency checking
> anyway.
>
>   AutoReqProv: no

Well, you can use rpm2cpio for the same purpose too.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@xxxxxxxxxx (jbj@xxxxxxx)