Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:32:02AM -0400, Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Paul Nasrat <pnasrat@xxxxxxxxxx>@redhat.com on 07/28/2004 09:02:12 AM
> replied:

> > > 1/ How can I manually populate bash into the database?

> > Else you can look at the virtual provides scripts.
> >  rpms for a non-rpm UNIX system.

> No, unfortunately the system wasn't (apparently) installed via RPM,
> but I will check out the skeleton rpms... thanks.

It's pretty straightforward - but feel free to ask questions. In essence you have an rpm with lots of

Provides: /bin/sh

You may also want to investigate OpenPKG as they may have OS provides packages - unsure on that one.  http://www.openpkg.org/

> > > 2/ I also don't even know why my RPM is dependent on bash.
> > >    I didn't make the dependency.  Is it built into RPM itself?
> >
> > Do you have any %pre,%post scripts or %triggers? The shell requirement is
> probably coming > automagically from those.
>
> I have the sections defined, but they are empty.
> Maybe I shouldn't even have the keywords, if I'm not going to use them?

Yes, you can leave them out if you don't have any scriptlets to perform.
Then your shell requires should vanish from your rpm.

Paul