building an rpm into a virtual filesystem

Hi,

I have the unfortunate task of building an RPM for some commericial
software (Netvault Backup software: www.bakbone.com).

First I had to figure out it's hidden feature of using a response file..
that worked fine.. Now on to problem #2.. paths.

It seems parts of the binary installer and a large chunk of the install
scripts put things in /etc, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and make some /dev
entries.  Is it possible to make the installer run in a chrooted
environment so I can capture all of this?  If so, how do I refer to all
the necessary files (rpm support files & dirs) that are outside of the
chroot? I don't want to have to do it that way because chroot requires
root, and we all know root rpm builds are bad.  I'm just running out of
options here.

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394