Re: building an rpm into a virtual filesystem

On Monday, 05 April 2004, at 17:29:52 (-0400),
James_Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It seems parts of the binary installer and a large chunk of the
> install scripts put things in /etc, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and make
> some /dev entries.  Is it possible to make the installer run in a
> chrooted environment so I can capture all of this?  If so, how do I
> refer to all the necessary files (rpm support files & dirs) that are
> outside of the chroot? I don't want to have to do it that way
> because chroot requires root, and we all know root rpm builds are
> bad.  I'm just running out of options here.

Mezzanine (www.kainx.org/mezzanine/) simplifies this task quite a
bit.  After installing it, run the following command (making obvious
replacements where needed) as root:

mzbuild -r /path/to/chroot/jail -u nonprivuser somepackage.src.rpm

That'll do ya.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>