Re: building an rpm into a virtual filesystem

James_Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I have the unfortunate task of building an RPM for some commericial software (Netvault Backup software: www.bakbone.com).

It seems parts of the binary installer and a large chunk of the install scripts put things in /etc, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and make some /dev entries. Is it possible to make the installer run in a chrooted environment so I can capture all of this?

This might be OT, but my favorite tool for dealing with applications like that is tripwire.

I do this:

install tripwire and configure it in ulta-paranoid mode to monitor / and all of it's subdirectories, then initialize the DB, install the software, and then do tripwire again. The tripwire output report will contain every single thing that the installer did -- every file permission changed, new file added, etc.

HTH,

Aaron Bennett

--
Aaron Bennett