RE: building an rpm into a virtual filesystem

> >I have the unfortunate task of building an RPM for some commericial
> >software (Netvault Backup software: www.bakbone.com).
> >
> >It seems parts of the binary installer and a large chunk of
> the install
> >scripts put things in /etc, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and make some /dev
> >entries.  Is it possible to make the installer run in a chrooted
> >environment so I can capture all of this?
> >

> This might be OT, but my favorite tool for dealing with applications
> like that is tripwire.
>
> I do this:
>
> install tripwire and configure it in ulta-paranoid mode to
> monitor / and
> all of it's subdirectories, then initialize the DB, install the
> software, and then do tripwire again.  The tripwire output
> report will
> contain every single thing that the installer did -- every file
> permission changed, new file added, etc.

All of this is neat stuff.  I worry that the product
may have prerequisites that need to be reflected in
the rpm, and if that's the case, operating on an
empty database isn't likely to be productive.  In
that case, a VMware install (or a UML) may prove
handy: under VMware you can start with a clean install
that matches your target, and have it toss the results
once you quit, so that it remains clean for next time.
Using UML you can simply copy a clean root_fs (or
use COW in some way) to achieve a similar result.