RE: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

-----Original Message-----
From: shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Steve Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, 23 March 2004 12:34 PM
To: Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)
Subject: Re: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Steve Bergman
> Sent: Tuesday, 23 March 2004 11:33 AM
> To: Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)
> Subject: Re: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

Thanks.

Just to be clear. Here is the pipeline as I understand it:

HTML -> evolution-mail -> POSTSCRIPT -> lpr -> cupsd -> print driver ->
PCL5 -> printer

During the 2 minutes, it is the evolution-mail process that is taking up
100% cpu and sending a huge file to lpr.  Are you saying that my choice
of print driver affects the postscript that is generated by
evolution-mail?  If so, I'm not understanding correctly how all this
works.  I thought that the postscript generated was totally independent
of the spooler.  Of course, it takes time for the spooler to generate
the PCL from the 22MB postscript file, but that's not quite so bad since
it's not tying up the user's desktop at that time.  It seems to me that
the choice of printer driver could only affect the speed of translation
of postscript to PCL5, which occurs in the background.

What I really don't understand is how such a glaring bug has made it
through the entire life cycle of RH9 without being fixed.  ANY html mail
triggers this problem.  Are the RHEL 3.0 users going to have to live
with this for the next 2 years?  Or do they get fixes that us
"freeloaders" don't?  Or am I the only one who has ever had trouble with
this?

The "solution" I suppose is to upgrade to fedora core, but before I can
get approval for that, I have to demonstrate that Linux desktops would
be worth moving to, and this glaringly obvious problem is making it hard
for me to do that.  Frankly, linux is looking pretty bad.  If it were
just me and my machine, I'd just shrug it off.  But this situation is
very frustrating.

-Steve
[snip]

I think that you will have pretty much the same problem with FC1. I run it
at home. And what I mentioned in my first reply was related to FC1. Here at
the office I run RH9 with all the updates. And the situation is pretty much
the same. HTML being mostly graphics, it will take a while to generate the
PS format. Trying to print even a small picture takes a while. Where as I
mentioned before, the Turbo Print (And it works with the CUPS
interface)drivers seem to handle it much faster. (And from memory, your
printer is supported) I use it here at the office too where I can, to speed
up printing.

The other alternative would be to buy the print drivers from "Easy Software
Products" who are the authors of CUPS. Since I'm unable to buy it here in
Australia, I can't vouch for the print speed of these drivers. This is one
of the main areas of Linux, which frustrates me. If it's not that the page
doesn't print out properly, or it's the drivers being way too slow.

Although I'm not going to give up yet. And yet, I don't know what else to
suggest. I'm still working on this issue myself.

Wolf

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com