Re: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Bergman Sent: Tuesday, 23 March 2004 11:33 AM To: Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike) Subject: Re: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

Thanks.

Just to be clear. Here is the pipeline as I understand it:

HTML -> evolution-mail -> POSTSCRIPT -> lpr -> cupsd -> print driver -> PCL5 -> printer

During the 2 minutes, it is the evolution-mail process that is taking up 100% cpu and sending a huge file to lpr. Are you saying that my choice of print driver affects the postscript that is generated by evolution-mail? If so, I'm not understanding correctly how all this works. I thought that the postscript generated was totally independent of the spooler. Of course, it takes time for the spooler to generate the PCL from the 22MB postscript file, but that's not quite so bad since it's not tying up the user's desktop at that time. It seems to me that the choice of printer driver could only affect the speed of translation of postscript to PCL5, which occurs in the background.

What I really don't understand is how such a glaring bug has made it through the entire life cycle of RH9 without being fixed. ANY html mail triggers this problem. Are the RHEL 3.0 users going to have to live with this for the next 2 years? Or do they get fixes that us "freeloaders" don't? Or am I the only one who has ever had trouble with this?

The "solution" I suppose is to upgrade to fedora core, but before I can get approval for that, I have to demonstrate that Linux desktops would be worth moving to, and this glaringly obvious problem is making it hard for me to do that. Frankly, linux is looking pretty bad. If it were just me and my machine, I'd just shrug it off. But this situation is very frustrating.

-Steve