Re: Evolution extremely slow printing HTML email

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

I think that you will have pretty much the same problem with FC1. I run it
at home. And what I mentioned in my first reply was related to FC1. Here at
the office I run RH9 with all the updates. And the situation is pretty much
the same. HTML being mostly graphics, it will take a while to generate the
PS format. Trying to print even a small picture takes a while. Where as I
mentioned before, the Turbo Print (And it works with the CUPS
interface)drivers seem to handle it much faster. (And from memory, your
printer is supported) I use it here at the office too where I can, to speed
up printing.

The other alternative would be to buy the print drivers from "Easy Software
Products" who are the authors of CUPS. Since I'm unable to buy it here in
Australia, I can't vouch for the print speed of these drivers. This is one
of the main areas of Linux, which frustrates me. If it's not that the page
doesn't print out properly, or it's the drivers being way too slow.

Although I'm not going to give up yet. And yet, I don't know what else to
suggest. I'm still working on this issue myself.

Thank you for your help. Happily, I can say that here on my dual boot Fedora Core 1 / Fedora Rawhide machine, I can take the same email, which basically just says "Hello, World" in text, and hit control P, click OK and BAM! the print dialog window is gone and I can continue working. 3 seconds later the printer kicks on and 7 seconds after that the printed page is finished and sitting in the tray. Doing the same thing on a RH9 system the user's desktop is basically unusable for over 2 minutes.

I know what you mean by the speed of the linux print drivers for nontrivial stuff. My client can live with that.

Could you try printing a simple "hello world" html email from evolution on RH9 to a postscript file and tell me how large the resulting file is? Under FC1 it is about 256k. Under RH9 about 22,000k. I am wondering if ther is not something wrong in the RH9 box's configuration that is causing this problem. Mentions of this problem are quite rare on the mailing lists and bugzilla's that I have searched, so it must not be happening to everyone. This machine started life as a RH7.3 box and I upgraded it to RH9 several months ago.

-Steve