UTF8 boot eror mesage, help needed!

          Hi, everybody,
  So this is my problem, these days after upgrade from RH8 I noticed that in the
console and in case I use startx instead of passing trough gdm some key
(combinations with AltGr) on my Spanish key board does not work. It was
especially bothering since some symbols I could not get were @ and #. Since I
often use to edit some files with vi I decided to try to fix this. I check the
language in the menu in the KDE and I saw it was set to English so I push it to
Spanish. It gave some strange spanglish result and after reboot I got the
message: UTF8 file or directory not found and an error about the console font.
So I login and just did the reverse action, set the language to English. This
did not solve the problem at all and in addition more keys are out of order. The
biggest mystery here is that if I start the gdm and after any desktop manager all
works just perfect with all the characters and key combinations.
   Now I just want to have my keyboard working fine and no UTF8 error on boot (I
am afraid it could create more problems than just a bothering, read "FAILED"
message). I am ok with getting all system messages in english so this is not the
primary problem.
  Any ideas???
  the keyboard is 101 key generic with spanish key map