ldap authentication

ldap is definatly an area where i have as little exptertise possible, but
its looking like that is going to change sooner than later.

what i would like to accomplish at the office is to have a redhat box
authenticate passwords against an ldap server on the network, instead of
thru the local shadow file.  is this possible?  im hoping to get a little
insight as to where i need to head with this before i spend a lot of time
and maybe spin a lot of wheels on this project.

ultimatly, what i want to end up with is an FTP server that will
authenticate based on our pre-existing ldap database, thus extending all
our single sign-on capabilities were growing here at the office.  for
instance, create a user, but instead of setting a passwd on the box, the
user attempts a login and the server checks against our ldap server..
yadda yadda blabity blah.

is this possible??

thanks,
jonathan