Re: Redhat Neat dial-up configuration

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Myriam Abramson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've configured my dial-up with Neat, the Redhat tool.
> There is one problem though. My provider gives me a static
> IP address. However, I would like to set up the DNS addresses
> myself and not obtain them from my provider. This
> option is not given for static IP address. Is there a way to modify
> the ifcfg-ppp scripts to do that or any other way?
>
> TIA
>
>                                    myriam

If you don't DHCP, can you even get DNS servers from your provider?  If
you want to set them yourself, just put them in /etc/resolv.conf and
you're done.  Rodolfo suggests the peerdns option to pppd, but that would
ask your provider for the addresses, and as I read your request, that's
not what you want.

BTW, you can set the Red Hat interface controller to use peerdns or not
with the PEERDNS=[yes/no] option in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-pppX.

How do you get a static IP on a dialup?  Dedicated phone line?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu