Re: Redhat Neat dial-up configuration

At 20:57 10/7/2003, you wrote:
If you don't DHCP, can you even get DNS servers from your provider?  If
you want to set them yourself, just put them in /etc/resolv.conf and
you're done.  Rodolfo suggests the peerdns option to pppd, but that would
ask your provider for the addresses, and as I read your request, that's
not what you want.

I was just trying to point him in the direction of the parameters which control this and the documentation that explains it. In the ifcfg-ppp0 file, "PEERDNS=no" will make sure that you _don't_ use the ISP's servers. I don't recall whether there is a "dontusepeerdns" for pppd, although I do know there is a "usepeerdns" which will activate it.

Again, just trying to provide a little Clue since I didn't have the time to go re-read the docs and figure out what the real and complete answer was.

How do you get a static IP on a dialup? Dedicated phone line?

Assigned by the ISP. Not difficult on technical grounds, actually. We used to issue them way back in 1997 when customers needed dial-up access but wanted to run mailservers.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx