RE: Which Firewall solutions

At 19:45 10/7/2003, you wrote:
More info please.. Learning...

More questions then, I know the feeling.

in the setup above..

you said - " 3 interface firewall" i presume eth0, eth1, eth2 something like
that??

In my case, I have in reality four interfaces:

* ppp0 is a dial-up link (ISDN modem connected via a serial port)

* eth0 is my internal network

* eth1 is my DMZ

* eth2 is my wireless (WiFi) network since, with the low security available for WiFi right now, I want this isolated from the rest of the house. However, it is to all intents and purposes another internal network just like eth0. eth2 and eth0 are not allowed to talk to each other.

Okay.. I give up.. I'm confused... I tink I need to get a book on firewalls.

Why? What are you confused about?

We can keep discussing this for weeks as long as there are specific threads and issues and questions to discuss. So come up with specific questions you don't understand, and we'll all take a crack at solving them.

Ps : I don't expect you guys to actually follow through with explanations to
un-confuse this poor soul.  :)

Why not? The way I make sure that I've learned is to see whether I can teach.

Plus, this is part of the Linux culture, and part of the Open Source culture. You will get TONS AND TONS of help right now, when you know nothing or next to nothing, and you'll get all this help for free. What makes it fair and reasonable is that you acquire the moral obligation to give as you were given: once you master a subject, make sure you spend some time helping others. Share whatever knowledge you have, remember where you came from, and help others learn too... that's how you pay back the help you were given.

This is also why the snots who fall too deeply in love with themselves get so little respect, by the way. It is not the raw knowledge that gains you respect; it is your standing in the community and your sharing in the beliefs and mores of said community.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx