Re: How to know when to reboot the server

tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Tom Diehl) writes:
> FWIW the machines that have run for over a year needed to be rebooted to
> upgrade the kernel. They never showed any signs of failing. I just got nervous
> about running an old kernel. So I guess you could say I was the point of failure
> that caused the reboot. :-)

I've got a box (an internal dns server that sees almost no traffic anymore)
that was booted in Dec 8 2001 at 11:20:22 (guess we forgot about it)... It
runs 7.1 and sadly, the only way to tell when it was last booted is to look
at the log files: the uptime command returns garbage (because of the
rollover of the counter) and ps ditto...

If I'm not wrong, that gives me an uptime of > 668 days!!!

I guess I'll let it go now...
--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu@xxxxxxxxxxx
       Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately