Re: Just some redhat musings

At 18:30 10/1/2003, you wrote:
RedHat has a strong product which I have seen grow for nearly 10 years,
but Fedora will need many years to catch up to the level of community
support currently available for releases > 7.3

Fedora is standing on the shoulders of RHL9 and earlier, building on all their previous experience; so its level of community support should be at least as great as that of RHL9. Also, Red Hat will now devote its development efforts to Fedora "instead of" RHL, so I see this as being again "at least as much" effort as RHL got. Can you elaborate further on why you think Fedora will be any weaker than what you expected from RHL10?

With the advent of enterprise level RedHat products, can we expect the
community to still give freely of their time to fix and test RedHat
products, or, does RedHat adopt the tried and tested MS model of testing
its products on those who purchase it?

No, no... you have it backwards. Red Hat and the rest of the community work on Fedora, which is available freely (liberty) and for free (no cost). Red Hat then takes the most proven, most bug-free, most stable, most useful parts of that and packages them into RHEL. Along with that effort, any effort it makes to improve a package for RHEL (eliminate bugs, etc.) gets contributed back to Fedora. And the whole of (100% of) RHEL source code is still available, as is any RHEL package in src.rpm format which you could rebuild to use on a Fedora box.

Innovation is done in Fedora, and fine-tuning and stress-testing is done for RHEL. Whatever improvements come out of the RHEL source go back into Fedora. As I see it, Fedora benefits from the RHEL releases, and is not hurt in any way by them. Any other thoughts also welcome.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx