Re: The end of RHL for private use?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, rogerwphx wrote:

> I'm just a user following the thread. I did some checking - playing what
> if. The cheapest Suse distribution is $99.00, but won't install without
> a maintenance pack for $499.00.

Where in the world did you come up with this???  You can buy SuSE
workstation or professional for a few $$$ more and just install it.  You
don't need to buy a $499 maintenance pack.  In fact, if you really feel
like it you can do an ftp install directly from their site OR you can
download the entire tree to a server and do ftp or nfs installs from
it.  Those are for free but there is obviously no support.  Application
security/bug patches are available though.  If I remember correctly SuSE
uses yast to apply those automatically...just like up2date.

SuSE does not provide ISO disk images and never has.  Also, the tree is
not available until a month or two after the version first ships.  I
suppose it their way of encouraging folks to buy the newest hot off the
press release.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer