Re: Just some redhat musings

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:30, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> Fedora is in its infacy,
> and much of the work done by developers, both RedHat and community,
> will disappear into the enterprise level releases.

What do you mean "disappear"?  Tell me why these efforts won't appear in
Fedora?  The same RH engineers responsible for sections of RHEL are
responsible for those same section of Fedora.  In addition, community
developers will provide code that may work its way into RHEL, but on the
way there, it is in Fedora.

> This has the effect
> of shutting out, or pricing out, those in the community who have
> given freely of their time and experience.

Fedora is still available for free.

> With the advent of enterprise level RedHat products, can we expect the
> community to still give freely of their time to fix and test RedHat
> products, or, does RedHat adopt the tried and tested MS model of testing
> its products on those who purchase it?

RHEL will surely be very well tested before release, and who is
purchasing Fedora?  No one, it's free for the download and will
undoubtedly be available on cheap CDs.  The community is helping to
create it and test it.

Gerry