Re: OT: Anyone try making their own distro?

At 14:02 9/26/2003, you wrote:
Its not about wanting everything for free, if RH tomorrow said no more free downloads ya had to buy a copy for the current $30.00 I would be fine with that. I'm bent because they are dropping an entire product (of which I have three PAID copies) with no care about the end users. I run RH on my notebook, my desktop, and I just wasted a month and a half convinceing brass to switch from windows to RedHat on 90% of our servers.

I understand what you are saying, but I think at this point you are still guessing and that may not be best for you.

All we really KNOW is that RHL is now Fedora, with more outside participation, more transparent process, and more frequent releases. We also know that Red Hat will not offer phone or web support for Fedora nor will it guarantee SLA for patches. And finally we know that up2date (supporting yum and apt-get repositories) in free and paid modes will continue to work, but that yum, apt-get, and current would work as well.

Some people are assuming that the more frequent release cycle will mean more instability, more frequent reinstalls or upgrades, less support, and more brokenness. While this is a possibility, it is not a certainty. So RH has not really _dropped_ RHL but rather heavily modified its branding and development methodology. AFAIAC, Fedora Core 1 is almost exactly what I expected from RHL 10, but I can see some additional benefits already. Others may see threats, but I repeat: we are all guessing, and we need to wait and see since RHL has not been dropped but rather drastically changed.

The only thing I _am_ worried about is the shorter support cycle for Fedora when related to servers, since while I _want_ RHEL, I cannot pay for it. So this is something I shall have to work through. Think about it, though... it's not as bad as you think.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx