Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

This one time, at band camp, "John Meagher" <jmeagher@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Mind if I ask why you would consider FreeBSD but not debian?

Just some bad experiences with debian, although one of them was my fault
by not updating an old sendmail exploit...
Also the installation is not as simple as other distros

> My understanding is that FreeBSD is preferred by security and 24x7
> datacenter folks who want to stay away from the bleeding edge, but you
> should be able to set your own distance  without leaving the linux
> community.
I am sure the servers will become FBSD.

> As for MS.... oh well, I assume you just said that to get some
> attention.
Not at all, it becomes an economic decision. At the end of the day if
the dollars are right, it is a real option to have MS workstations.
This would mean coming full circle from when I began to admin the
network, as I removed most of the MS machines from it. A few still
remain, less than 10.
MS offer huge discounts for educational facilities.

As I write this I am downloading esmith for a look.

Kind regards
Kevin

--
 ______