Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 23:11, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, "Christopher A. Williams" <chrisw01@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm just surprised at how many people are complaining so loudly about
> > having to pay for a service. Sheesh...
>
> Well, I admin a school network with 600+ workstations, and several servers.
> All running redhat, we simply can't afford that sort of money. We will be
> looking at SuSe but not debian I think.

Does SuSE have a RHN equivalent that they do not charge for?
Seriously, I've had so much problem w/SuSE I don't know, do they?

If you don't mean RHN, then Fedora will provide you what RHL currently
does, plus more. Now it will be a lot easier to have a custom install
for you school, maintain your own additional software repositories and
provide easy install tools (hint: up2date has yum support) for your
users/students/etc. to customize further, if you give them the
permission to do so.

BTW, the yum config form Fedora includes the K12 LTSP stuff.

The first release of Fedora Core is, as I understand it, exactly the
code that was to be RHL 10.

What's the beef, *exactly*?

--
Bill Anderson