Re: Best HD Partitoning Scheme

Hi Bob,

Lot of thanks for your detail advice.

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 11:35, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> You can only have 4 primary partitions on any drive. Within one of the
> primary partitions you can create logical partitions. Check your fdisk
> documentation for how to create these. Each operating system has it's
> own fdisk, so if you want to create linux partitions read
>
> man fdisk
>
> or
>
> info fdisk
>
> and feel your way very carefully indeed. If you have unpartitioned free
> space on your drive, it should be relatively easy to create and format
> new partitions. But if the entire drive is partitioned, your job is
> going to be more complicated.

Noted.  My hard drive is running with 4 partitions.  I will try to see
whether 'parted' will help.  I am not experienced on FIPS.  PartionMagic
can do the job but on M$Win

> In either case always back up your data first before playing with fdisk.

Noted

> Let me go a little more into this ad nauseum.
> If you have a spare hard drive laying around unused, why not use it to
> experiment with? Remove your 'production drive' (thus preserving it's
> contents) and install the 'spare drive' in it's place. Then do Linux
> installs on it using Disk Druid. This lets you play and have loads of fun.
>
> You can also use a spare drive as a backup (straight copy of files from
> one drive to another) or 'upgrade' drive, as in jumping from a 20 Gb to
> 60 Gb drive: in either case, create the same partitions as on the source
> drive and then copy these partitions to it. See the Hard Disk Upgrade
> How-To on the Linux Documentation Project.

I have experience on cloning a hard drive to a new drive but having not
done to clone a hard drive of 4 partitions to a new drive with 7
partitions.  I will try to see what to do.  Have you had any advice.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen.

To Get Your Own iCareHK.com Email Address?  Go To www.iCareHK.com.