Re: Best HD Partitoning Scheme

I don't know if the most recent version of Partition Magic can resize and/or create Linux ext3 partitions. In fact I'm not sure Partition Magic can work with any Linux journalling filesystems.

As to copying a 4 partition drive onto a new drive with 7 partitions, it should be straightforward. Read the Hard Drive Upgrade How-To for the details. It worked great for me. I suggest practicing the drive upgrade a couple times on a new disk.

One tricky part is you may have to update your /etc/fstab. That in turn may mean you must add disk labels to your new drive with e2label. If you see lines in your fstab that are looking for labels, that means the new drive has to have such a label for the indicated partition and mount point. Learn about fstab and e2label.

Bob

Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi Bob,

Lot of thanks for your detail advice.