Re: Best HD Partitoning Scheme

I'd devote one hard disk exclusively to Microsoft Windows.

Then devote a separate hard disk exclusively to Linux.

Why?

1. It's a lot simpler. Simpler is better. Simpler works!

2. It doesn't risk resizing existing partitions and then creating new ones on one of the drives. Oh what fun that is! You'll be a wreck worrying about the safety of your existing partitions. No, we want to avoid messing with fips or Partition Magic. Why inflict a migraine on yourself when you don't have to. Remember if you make a mistake and trash one or both of your drives, it's your fault...

3. It doesn't make assumptions about future operating system behaviors. For example, if you put Linux partitions on a drive hosting a Microsoft OS, you are betting that any future Microsoft OS upgrade won't trash your Linux partitions. Microsoft OS'es already overwrite the Master Boot Record of the primary master drive. Of course, if we follow this logic further one sees I'm betting future Microsoft upgrades won't trash your other drives in a given system. Maybe that won't be so.

4. It's easier to maintain. When you want to expand to a bigger hard drive, it is much easier to just copy the source drive partitions to the destination drive partitions and not have to worry about those other partitions on that other drive.

Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Randy Chrismon wrote:

I have two hard drives on my computer. The "master" is 30Gb and has a Windows partition on it -- although I can devote a portion of the drive to another partition. My second drive is 160Gb. Both drives are on the same controller. I can pretty much devote all of the second drive to Linux. I will be running a MySQL development server which I don't expect to have more than 2Gb data. My wife and daughter will have accounts on the Linux system. Given all the above -- and whatever else information I can provide that folks might deem appropriate -- what would you all suggest as the "best" partitioning scheme? A swap partition on the first drive? A separate home partition on the second drive? A separate partition for the MySQL data? All Linux on one big partition?

Thanks.

Randy

-- Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/