Re: dial on demand

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 00:22, Charles A. Crayne wrote:
> I am currently looking at satellite alternatives. Would you mind letting me
> know what you chose, and what your experiences were?

I used DirecWay until we finally got a local wireless provider.

I had the 2Way (always on) service.  Weather can affect it, but the only
time I had a problem was during heavy storms with very thick cloud
cover.  Since I kept a dialup account, I just switched to dialup at
those times.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on how you use the internet.  If
you mostly just surf around and do moderate email, dialup is almost as
good.  The latency involved in sending a signal that far then getting a
signal back can slow you down enough to offset what speed you gain on
the download side.  If I was going to do a lot of surfing or spend a lot
of time on a secure site (where the client and server 'talk' back and
forth a lot) I would often use dialup for the upload side and satellite
for the download side.

I do a lot of downloading.  That is where the satellite paid off for
me.  I averaged around 600k on the downloads (slow times were 200 to
300k and great times were near a meg).

Good luck!
Doug