Re: dial on demand

On 14 Aug 2003 21:32:53 -0500
Doug B <brucks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

:I used DirecWay until we finally got a local wireless provider.

Thank your for the information, but I would like to know a bit more.

To begin with, here is my situation. I live about a 150 miles north of San
Francisco, and about six miles away from the small town of Willits. The
telephone lines out here are notoriously poor, and, even on a good day, my
best connect speed is 26400, and even then, my error rate is so high that
my net download speed averages about 10 minutes per megabyte. DSL and
wireless have recently become available in Willits, but out here, they are
not available at any price.

There is a DirecWay dealer in town, but he tells me that I must connect
through a Windows box, which I would rather not do. I am aware of the 4020
interface, which doesn't care what OS I am using, but DirecWay does not
support it, and net2dish, which does support it, not only wants about twice
the DirecWay price per month, but also restricts me to a satellite which is
low enough in the sky to be a bit of a problem for my location.

If you could tell me what you had to do to use DirecWay, I would appreciate
it.

-- Chuck