Re: dial on demand

Sorry if this gets posted twice.  The first time I submitted with the
wrong email address. It may or may not make the list.

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 23:52, Charles A. Crayne wrote:

> There is a DirecWay dealer in town, but he tells me that I
must          > connect through a Windows box, which I would rather not
do.

I had an old box laying around, so I used it (with windows) for the
DirecWay connection.  Internet connection sharing worked so my wife, my
boys, and I could all share the connection. Not the most secure setup,
but it worked.  I installed zone alarm on all the windows boxes to give
them some protection. They used to have a free version... don't know if
they still do.

I did a little looking around to see about connecting DirecWay to my
linux box, and I got the impression that it could be done, but since it
didn't feel like a pressing need, I didn't pursue it very far.  IIRC the
installation software is windows based (sets up your account) and the
diagnostic software is windows based. Once set up and as long as you
don't need the diagnostics, you *might* be able to move it to a linux
box.  I did need to call their technical support once and the software
helped them find the problem.  By the way, even though it took a while
on the phone (on their dime) and it had to get bumped up a support
level, the folks I dealt with were nice and the problem was resolved.

If you plan to download iso's, you'll run up against their Fair and
Acceptable use Policy (FAP). I don't remember the numbers, but if you
exceed a certain amount of download in a certain amount of time, they
cut your bandwidth back to barely modem speeds for 8 to 12 hours.  Even
with 4 of us using it, I never had a problem with FAP except when I went
after the latest RH iso's.  I ended up setting a bandwidth limit on my
end to keep me within their guidelines. It really slowed down getting
them, but at least I could still surf and email at decent speeds.

Hope all that helps.

Doug