Re: installing a new kernel from a newbie

Jesse Keating wrote:

Correct. The errata for that particular kernel effected you. Probably wouldn't matter to much to a user that doesn't have a CDRW drive in their system. The work that one must do these days when installing a new kernel, what with various 3'rd party modules that will have to be recompiled (Nvidia/Vmware/ATI/etc...) it's not as simple as rpm -ivh anymore.

On my servers it almost always is that simple - but I hate to reboot servers ever, so I install errata kernels if there is security issue, but don't usually reboot without some other compelling reason such as hardware maintenance or power outage.

With my desktop machines, there is usually one added step, not too hard:

nvidia-installer --update

- then restart X and we're good.

Joe