Re: installing a new kernel from a newbie

On Monday 04 August 2003 10:58, Joe wrote:
> On my servers it almost always is that simple - but I hate to reboot
> servers ever, so I install errata kernels if there is security issue,
> but don't usually reboot without some other compelling reason such as
> hardware maintenance or power outage.
>
> With my desktop machines, there is usually one added step, not too
> hard:
>
> nvidia-installer --update
>
>  - then restart X and we're good.

Not everybody has as easy of a setup as you do.  Some of our systems
require recompiled driver modules, ATI driver rebuilds (which are a bit
more difficult), software rebuilds, oh and lets not forget the users
who delete their nvidia installer as soon as they've used it once, so
it's not there anymore, they hit "yes" on the configure X so they lose
the "nvidia" setting in XF86Config, oh and they have thought it
necessary to remove just about any method of downloading files from the
CLI.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net