Re: output of lsmod

--- Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Globe Trotter wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am very confused with all this: both the home machine which I installed
> RH9
> >2.4.20-8 on, and the work one, which comes with it pre-installed, have the
> >following output for
> >
> >$ cat /proc/devices | grep 14
> >
> > 14 sound
> >140 pts
> >141 pts
> >142 pts
> >143 pts
> > 14 unnamed
> >
> >The home machine is a Dell Latitude C840 laptop and the work machine is a
> >gigantic Dell Dimension 650.
> >
> >Does anyone have any idea as to what all this is? How come only I get this
> >output?? I have looked at the devices.txt and was unable to come up with
> >anything....
> >

> I think we all have unnamed. is it causing problems for you?
>
> I have:
>
> cat /proc/devices | grep 14
>  14 sound
>  14 unnamed
>
> Joe

thanks! well, i was trying to install xvoice (with carlo wood's help) and was
unable to get it to work. (that means that when the java screen comes up and
tests for sound, there is not even a squeak!) we did do an extensive debugging
and this is the difference between his and my setup (of course, there can be
other things also that may not have been detected). it is surprising that he
does not have this, though i think he may be using this updated 2.6.test2
kernel.