Re: installing a new kernel from a newbie

On Monday 04 August 2003 10:30, Joe wrote:
> Servers are one thing - but if my desktop is having trouble burning
> CDS and the new errata kernel  has fixes for that, I'm going to
> update it - and something as ancient as 2.4.20-8 has quite a few
> issues which have been addressd in 2.4.20-19.
>
> Any errata kernel that fixes a remote exploit should be given top
> priority on an internet-connected system.
>
> I wonder how Alan Cox would weigh in on this issue...
>
> Best Regards,

Correct.  The errata for that particular kernel effected you.  Probably
wouldn't matter to much to a user that doesn't have a CDRW drive in
their system.  The work that one must do these days when installing a
new kernel, what with various 3'rd party modules that will have to be
recompiled (Nvidia/Vmware/ATI/etc...) it's not as simple as rpm -ivh
anymore.  I have to talk to a multitude of customers on a daily basis
that will blindly update a kernel and then wonder why some of their key
software no longer works.  Once we examine the errata notices and more
often than not determine that the upgrade really wasn't necessary, the
user goes back to their old kernel and is happy as a clam as their
software begins to work again.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net