Re: installing a new kernel from a newbie

On Monday 04 August 2003 10:19, Joe wrote:
> OK, so there are potential driver issues for some users.
>
> But on the flip side, all known security issues are fixed, along with
> a number of nice fixes for things like cd burning - no sense in
> scaring people unneccesarily with vague and alarming hints of
>  "issues" that will befall them if they use the errata kernels.
>
> ;-)

No, but at the same time lets not try to force the thought down the
user's throat that they must run every errata kernel that comes out.
Quite often an errata kernel will come out that only touches on a
security flaw in a section of the kernel that isn't used by the
majority of the userbase.  There is no sense in updating the kernel if
the errata doesn't apply to you.  The practice we should preach is
reading the errata notices and the changes and see if the new update is
really necessary for your implementation.  Starts to make more sense
when you have a change control board you have to ok every update
through, and have to show real cause to do the upgrade.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: