Re: installing a new kernel from a newbie

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Monday 04 August 2003 10:07, Joe wrote:

Maybe I missed something - could you enumerate the issues with
2.4.20-19?

Best Regards,

For one aic79xx drivers are of an older code base (necessary I hear for aic7xxx driver compatibility) and hence they don't work on our newer Adaptec u320 scsi controllers so I have to install an rpm I made with an updated aic79xx module for each kernel we might use. I'm sure there are other issues. No kernel(or software for that matter) is perfect.

OK, so there are potential driver issues for some users.

But on the flip side, all known security issues are fixed, along with a number of nice fixes for things like cd burning - no sense in scaring people unneccesarily with vague and alarming hints of "issues" that will befall them if they use the errata kernels.

;-)

Joe