Re: Netatalk on RH9

On Saturday, Andrew wrote:

These are OS 9.04 clients. I have recently discovered that one, a 233 MHz
Wallstreet Powerbook, is a candidate for OS X 10.2. I thought it was too
slow until a new acquaintance showed me his running Jaquar. I plan to
acquirie a copy of 10.2 for that one.

Aiee. I can't even stand using it on a 667MHz PowerBook G4 sometimes...

My other Mac is a venerable
603e-based Umax clone.

I had OS X running on my S900 (w/G3 upgrade card), until the mobo died and I moved all the remaining parts to a PowerCenter Pro (which is also running OS X).

9.04 is as far as it is going.

I'd go to at least 9.1 for stability's sake (though if it ain't broke, don't fix it). 9.2 is also possible...

I have a film scanner
attached to it, so it will stay in operation and it needs convenient file
sharing with the Linux box. Hence netatalk.

Gotcha. And for the most part, netatalk works very well with pre-X Macs.

Samba is next on my list for my
Dell laptop running Windows 2000. It should be up and running before I
upgrade the Powerbook to OS X. Thanks for the advice about OS X.

There are TONS of posts on the netatalk.sourceforge.net mailing lists about problems getting netatalk to work correctly with OS X clients, so that's a decent place to look if you go down that path and want to find more info on the subject. Until netatalk is more stable with OS X and supports long file names, I'm sticking to samba for OS X clients.

Sorry all for the bevy of non-Shrike-related stuff in here... :)
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
WilsoNet Technologies