Re: Netatalk on RH9

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 00:00, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Friday, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:49:34PM -0500, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> >> I would like to set up netatalk on my RH9 installation for my home
> >> network.
> >> I'm new at this, so please forgive the newbie questions. Looking at
> >> the
> >> Netatalk How-To, it appears that netatalk is installed but not turned
> >> on
> >> RH9. However, I notice the configuration directories and the
> >> /etc/service
> >> entries are different than the How-To. Can someone give me some
> >> pointers on
> >> how to get netatalk up and running on RH9? Thanks!
> >>
> >> Andrew Robinson
> > I don't know what you want to do with netatalk. File sharing works
> > pretty much as installed. If you want to print to an appletalk printer
> > things get more complicated.
> > What do you want to do?
>
> Yes, what you want to do makes a big difference... Netatalk is
> MISERABLE for Mac OS X clients. For starters, I believe versions of
> netatalk prior to 1.6 are susceptible to causing kernel panics for OS X
> clients, so the Red Hat-included package is worthless if you have OS X
> clients. The second major issue is that file names must be 31
> characters or less, while OS X allows 255 character names. I use OS X
> regularly myself, and I NEVER use netatalk. I use samba instead, since
> it has no problem with long file names, and OS X has a native samba
> client.
----
not wanting to debate this but...

If you enable a login message - any login message, OSX clients work.
It's stupid but it makes a difference.

I haven't tested the version included with shrike so I can't comment...I
have had good success by downloading source and compiling my own, both
before and after 1.6 versions. I'm currently using 1.5.3 on my linux
server at home right now and I must be stupid but it's working fine.

Craig