Re: OpenOffice && ( Linux server && Windows clients LAN network )

On 26 Jul 2003, Peter wrote:

> It is feasible to do so. You must have Samba running on the Server and
> connect each client to a share (or the same share) (e.g. drive t: for
> text).

  I assume the drive t: is available for any client, so they could share
their documents.

  Is it a way to let a password protected access to subdirectories of this
drive t: to each client, such that each client has his own
password/subdirectory ?

> Any client can store the documents on that drive, selecting it during
> the "save at" dialog. You can open in OpenOffice  Extras -> Options ->
> Paths -> Working Directory, select "Edit" and change it to the servers
> directory. So it becomes your default.
>
> Additionally you can install OO in a manner that the program files are
> stored onto the server and are loaded over the network. Only some
> personal files (e.g. preferences) are stored on each clients machine.
>
> You have first to install OO onto the server directory using the /net
> option. In a second step you invoke the setup program on each clients,
> which will install the personal files. The process is described in
> detail in the installation handbook.

Yes Sir
  And...  About the printers configuration ?

  Is it feasible to let each client print his documents on his
personal printer ?  So that there couldn't be too much load upon the
server printer ?

  Many thanks for your help.

  Best regards.

  Jean Francois Ortolo