Re: OpenOffice && ( Linux server && Windows clients LAN network )

Am Sam, 2003-07-26 um 20.00 schrieb Jean Francois Ortolo:
> On 26 Jul 2003, Peter wrote:
> >
> > It is feasible to do so. You must have Samba running on the Server and
> > connect each client to a share (or the same share) (e.g. drive t: for
> > text).
> >

>   I assume the drive t: is available for any client, so they could share
> their documents.

Yes, you can share the same "share" by several clients at the same time.
And you can assign the same drive letter to it on each client or, of
cause, use a fully qualified UNC Name like \\servername\sharename

If one client wants to use a file, which is in use by another user,
there will pop up a warning and/or the file will be opened in read-only
mode.

>   Is it a way to let a password protected access to subdirectories of this
> drive t: to each client, such that each client has his own
> password/subdirectory ?

I'm not shure, but I don't think so. Using the original OS/2 server you
can assing r/w permissions to a directory for any user and assign
different permissions for its subdirectories to users. So, all users may
have r/w permissions in the directory (i.e. drive t:), and each user may
have a subdir in that directory, where he is the only one with r/w
permissions and all other users may have read permission or no
permission at all. Samba doesn't have such a functionality, but I'm not
shure about it.

> > You have first to install OO onto the server directory using the /net
> > option. In a second step you invoke the setup program on each clients,
> > which will install the personal files. The process is described in
> > detail in the installation handbook.
> >

> Yes Sir

Sorry, I didn't want to blame you, but my explanation may be a little
bit too short.

>   And...  About the printers configuration ?
>
>   Is it feasible to let each client print his documents on his
> personal printer ?  So that there couldn't be too much load upon the
> server printer ?

No problem. With samba you can share printers, too. You must install a
network printer on the windows clients (including the printer driver
which tells the programs how to print) and connect it to the server's
printer share. The User of each window client can select the network
printer or the local one while walking through the printer dialog in OO.

You can determine a windows system wide default (network printer or one
of several network printers, or the local one), which is automatically
preselected in OpenOffice, but unfortunately you can't determine a
(different) default printer in OO itself.

Good luck

Peter