Re: OpenOffice && ( Linux server && Windows clients LAN network )

Am Sam, 2003-07-26 um 11.46 schrieb Jean Francois Ortolo:
> Hi all
>
>   I have to install OpenOffice in a LAN environment, which
> includes:
>
>   - 1 Linux server with OpenOffice,
>   - Several Windows clients, which could, if possible, connect to the
> server OpenOffice, such that all the documents could be on the server.
>
>   Is it feasible to do this, and if yes, what does the installation
> process, need to be done ?

It is feasible to do so. You must have Samba running on the Server and
connect each client to a share (or the same share) (e.g. drive t: for
text).

Any client can store the documents on that drive, selecting it during
the "save at" dialog. You can open in OpenOffice  Extras -> Options ->
Paths -> Working Directory, select "Edit" and change it to the servers
directory. So it becomes your default.

Additionally you can install OO in a manner that the program files are
stored onto the server and are loaded over the network. Only some
personal files (e.g. preferences) are stored on each clients machine.

You have first to install OO onto the server directory using the /net
option. In a second step you invoke the setup program on each clients,
which will install the personal files. The process is described in
detail in the installation handbook.