Re: Netatalk on RH9

At 02:05 AM 7/28/2003 -0700, Jarrod wrote:
On Saturday, Andrew wrote:

My other Mac is a venerable
603e-based Umax clone.

I had OS X running on my S900 (w/G3 upgrade card), until the mobo died and I moved all the remaining parts to a PowerCenter Pro (which is also running OS X).

9.04 is as far as it is going.

I'd go to at least 9.1 for stability's sake (though if it ain't broke, don't fix it). 9.2 is also possible...

Sorry all for the bevy of non-Shrike-related stuff in here... :)
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

And in continuing this conversation, I'm going to take it farther afield...

I did try upgrading the Umax to 9.1. I don't remember all the details, but it was a free download, intended for the then new iMacs I believe. Someone on the Umax mailing list posted a ResEdit hack to get the installer to think the Umax was an allowed machine. Anyway, I got it installed. However, the Umax was noticeably slower, so I backed back down to 9.04.

When I bought the C600 (603e-based), I had a choice between it and a S900 (604-based). I went for the top-of-the-line C600 because it had a better software package. I've kind of regretted that after reading about all the upgrades people have done with their S900. On the other hand, the C600 is still doing pretty much what I ask of it after 6 years. I've certainly got my money's worth.

To pretend there is some Red Hat content here, the C600 has been dual-boot with LinuxPPC since 1999. LinuxPPC is a port of Red Hat Linux. It even has a Red Hat splash screen when it boots.

Andrew Robinson